SRI LANKAN COCONUT PANCAKES

These gluten-free Sri Lankan Coconut Pancakes are almost like a thicker crepe and are flavored with a hint of almond, vanilla and turmeric – and guess what – they would be perfect for your Saturday morning brunch!
Gluten Free Coconut Pancakes
Thanks to my parents, my young insides were not introduced to a burger or fries – even on busy nights! To be perfectly fair, burgers and fries were not traditional Sri Lankan eats :-) . The Sri Lankan eats my sister and I devoured happily when we were young, were actually veggie and spice heavy. Back then my mom would feed us homemade kiribath, or mung bean and coconut “salad,” or string hoppers, or a smorgasbord of veggie curries. However, from all the day-to-day Sri Lankan eats my mom made, my all time favorite were her coconut pancakes with a coconut and jaggery filling.
Coconut-Jaggery-Prep
Jaggery is an unrefined and non-distilled sugar that is made from the sap of sucrose rich plants such as sugar cane and/or date palm trees. I first mentioned it here when I posted the recipe for my version of Sri Lankan Watalappan.
Cook till little "crackles" appear - then flip it for perfectly golden pancakes
                                              Cook till little “crackles” appear – then flip it for perfectly golden pancakes
Coconut Pancakes No Baking Powder No Gluten
My mom would make delicate, turmeric spiced pancakes without any baking powder and she would stuff them with this almost un-earthly, soft and scrumptious, coconut, jaggery, cardamom and vanilla filling. My dad and I shared a wicked sweet tooth so we would compete to see who would end up with the last decadent pancake, but, my mom would always act as referee and get us to both slow down – with the race ending when my sister would appear from nowhere and grab that last pancake!
Coconut Pancakes With Toasted Coconut Jaggery Topping @RunninSrilankan
Today, I have my version of my mom’s baking powder free, Coconut Pancakes – but mine comes with a roasted Coconut and Jaggery topping and Coconut Whipped Cream. While my mom’s pancakes were thinner (like a crepe) – mine are a tad bit thicker – like a thicker crepe. Like her’s, my pancakes are also flavored with turmeric.; but, I also added a bit of almond and vanilla extract to mine. While, my mom’s traditional coconut and jaggery mix was soft – I toasted mine – to make it crunchy and offset the whipped cream topping.
Coconut pancakes
While my mom’s stuffed pancakes were rolled and easy to engage in a pancake eating contest – my version isn’t quite so easy to do so with. But, mine are perfect for lounging around and lazily filling up on on a weekend morning!
This Recipe first appeared on Food Fanatic. Please check out Food Fanatic for more recipes and inspiration.

Gluten Free Coconut Pancakes Recipe

 Embed
       2 Servings

Ingredients

For the Pancakes:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk, (of your choice)
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
For the Coconut & Jaggery Filling:
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
  • 5 tablespoons powdered jaggery, or coconut palm sugar
  • 5 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions

For the Pancakes:
  1. Add coconut flour, turmeric, salt and rice flour into a bowl and mix.
  2. Then add in the eggs, milk, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extracts, and mix well till batter is smooth.
  3. Pour 3-4 spoonfuls of batter onto a warm pan and let cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. When top surface of pancakes become cracked, flip them and cook on other side for 2-3 minutes
For the Filling:
  1. As pancakes cool, add coconut oil to a pan with coconut flakes and sauté.
  2. Add in the jiggery and almond extract, cinnamon and lemon juice and sauté till jiggery melts and coats coconut.
For Assembly:
  1. Place a pancake on a plate, top with coconut whipped topping or whipped topping of your choice, sprinkle coconut jiggery filling and repeat.
  2. Stack layers as high as you want and dig in!
Share on Google Plus

About chef imado

Hello! My Name Is Imad Qaidi, Cooking Holds a certificate of the Moroccan state and I have all the qualifications of the traditional and the modern cuisine of various well-known in the world of cooking states, Best Regards Admin.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment