Fried Eggs with Mushrooms and Onions

An adapted version of this recipe appears in my book The Wheat-Free Meat-Free Cookbook: 100 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes. Check out the book on Amazon if you're looking for more tasty recipes.
I love fried eggs. We had them pretty regularly as kids, but somewhere along the line I kind of forgot about them. Then my brother was visiting a while back (you know, a year or two ago), and he made a fried egg sandwich for breakfast. I had one of those “why haven’t I been doing that?” moments. I’ve been on a fried egg kick ever since.
I do like fried egg sandwiches, but sometimes I like to saute some veggies and have that with the egg instead. I came up with this recipe a few weeks ago. I think there’s now been three times that I made this with the intention of posting it but didn’t get around to taking pictures. I finally got my act together.
  • 2 cups sliced onions (one medium-large onion)
  • 4 cups sliced mushrooms (one 10-ounce package)
  • olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2 eggs
  1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Film the pan with oil. Add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the mushrooms, rosemary, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are reduced in size and have released their juices, about 5 minutes. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to pick up any brown bits.
  3. Divide mushrooms and onions between two plates and set aside. You can cover the plates to help keep them warm.
  4. Re-film the pan with a little more oil. Crack one egg into the pan. Fry for a minute or two, then flip. When egg has reached desired doneness, place on top of one of the mushroom/onion plates.
  5. Repeat with the other egg. Serve.
(Serves 2)
I used crimini mushrooms, but white button mushrooms would work equally well.
A little chopped fresh parsley sprinkled on top is a nice addition. I thought I had fresh parsley. It was not so fresh. (Sigh)
The fried egg is a matter of personal taste. As you can see, I like mine crispy. Some people like theirs just heated through. Alter the cooking time to suit your tastes.
This recipe is a submission to Slighty Indulgent Tuesday.
Share on Google Plus

About chef imado

Hello! My Name Is Imad Qaidi, Cooking Holds a certificate of the Moroccan state and I have all the qualifications of the traditional and the modern cuisine of various well-known in the world of cooking states, Best Regards Admin.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment